Q. What information about state employees is available?
The following personnel information is available to the public:
- an individual's name, title, position, salary, payroll record, length of service, date of separation and the reason therefor, and the amount and type of any pension received shall be a government record; (See Note 1 below)
While the Sprague Library usually has a list of current employee salaries at the Reference Desk, you will need to get the other information elsewhere.
In most cases this information can be found online:
- DataUniverse: a collection of public information maintained by the Asbury Park Press.
- Public Payroll and Pension information put online by the state.
- Payroll for Employees in the Alternate Benefits Program (ABP)
(Look under Schools for Higher Education salary info.)
- N.J. Government Retirees (PERS & TPAF)
If you have further questions, please contact MSU's Division of Human Resources:
Division of Human Resources Overlook Corporate Center 150 Clove Road Little Falls, NJ Phone: 973-655-5293 Fax: 973-655-7210
Note 1. C.47:1A-10 Personnel, pension records not considered public document; exceptions. Notwithstanding the provisions of P.L.1963, c.73 (C.47:1A-1 et seq.) or any other law to the contrary, the personnel or pension records of any individual in the possession of a public agency, including but not limited to records relating to any grievance filed by or against an individual, shall not be considered a government record and shall not be made available for public access, except that:
- an individual's name, title, position, salary, payroll record, length of service, date of separation and the reason therefor, and the amount and type of any pension received shall be a government record;
- personnel or pension records of any individual shall be accessible when required to be disclosed by another law, when disclosure is essential to the performance of official duties of a person duly authorized by this State or the United States, or when authorized by an individual in interest; and
- data contained in information which disclose conformity with specific experiential, educational or medical qualifications required for government employment or for receipt of a public pension, but not including any detailed medical or psychological information, shall be a government record.